Monday, June 16, 2008

My Testimony

I started this blog back in 2007 as an outlet for bible exposition that I was writing. I had pastored a church bi-vocationally from 2000-2005 prior to moving to Tennessee and was not preaching or teaching at the time. I felt like I needed some kind of outlet. I believe God had given me the spiritual gift to teach and that I needed to use that gift in some way to edify other believers even if I wasn’t in a staff position in a church. Therefore, this blog, with few exceptions, has been geared toward bible exposition with a few blog links thrown in when I read something that was encouraging or challenging to me. I got to thinking the other day, though, that since I’ve gotten to know a few people through this blog that maybe I should post my testimony.

We went to church when I was a child on Sunday mornings. I don’t remember that much about it. To me, it was an excuse to get dressed up in my suit and pretend that I was a superhero with a costume on underneath. We moved to Tennessee when I was in 2nd grade. We pretty well stopped going to church when we got moved up there and I didn’t start going back to church until I was in 6th grade. We had moved back to Alabama (where I was from originally) and my younger brother and sister had started going to children’s choir at Silverhill First Baptist Church. I’m not sure why, but music was always a draw for me. There was just something special about singing or playing music. Anyway, I heard the children’s choir sing one song and I was like “Dude, I want to do that”. Actually, my voice had started to change so I think I was the only boy who sang in the bass clef in that choir. I sounded like a bullfrog.

Anyway, I went from going to Children’s choir to graduating up to youth choir. I then started staying for Discipleship training, going to church service, and attending Sunday School. As I went, I began to hear about how I was a sinner and that Christ had died for my sins. As I heard this, I began to feel what I realize now was conviction. Finally, on a Thursday afternoon in September after a JV basketball practice, I went to my room and asked Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sins and become my Lord and Savior.

I was not discipled very well. I think, especially in Southern Baptist churches, we do a pathetic job of making sure that someone grows as a Christian once they’re saved. I mean, we’ll witness to you all day long, but when it comes to discipleship, buddy, you’re on your own. I suppose that is why I am so passionate about teaching God’s word. I had been Christian for nearly 14 years before I seriously started to study God’s word. Obviously, I had not grown much in that decade and a half. However, God has used His precious word to help me mature----some. I’ve got a long way to go. Praise God that He’s still working on me.

Again, this is something of an unusual post for me. The title of my blog is Hear God Speak and it is my goal to help people do just that through the exposition of scripture. However, I thought since I had been at this awhile people would recognize that my focus is and will be the bible. I just thought we could get to know each other here. Feel free to leave comments or questions on my posts. Thanks and may our Father bless you and yours.

In Christ

No comments: