Monday, August 23, 2010

Asking Questions--What is Hell Like?

I am a volunteer writer for the website GotQuestions. People who come to that website can browse a huge data base of already asked and answered questions or they can submit a question which is assigned to a writer to answer. I thought as I had opportunity to answer some of these questions, I would share them in a series of posts under the label "Asking Questions". I pray that you are encouraged.

Q-It says that souls currently in Hell are tormented, like the story of the rich man and Lazaraus. Are they tormented because they are in Hell or are they tormented by demons who are there with them?

A-Well, it would appear that they are tormented by fires in hell. Observe with me in Luke 16:24 "And he cried out and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus so that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool off my tongue, for I am in agony in this flame.'" Now, there are no texts that describe any demons tormenting the human souls in hell so of course we can't say definitively. However, if they are in hell they are likewise being tormented so I doubt they have time to pester anyone else.

2 comments:

selahV said...

where the worm dieth not. Not even a worm could die there. selahV

Joe Blackmon said...

I'm glad I'm not going to find out. :-)